Saint Petersburg is the second largest city of Russia located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. Now it has more than 5 million inhabitants. St. Petersburg is inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage list as an area with 36 historical architectural complexes and around 4000 outstanding individual monuments of architecture, history and culture. St. Petersburg is often called the cultural capital of Russia. http://www.saint-petersburg.com/
- St. Petersburg has one International airport Pulkovo (LED) connected by direct flights with all important cities of Europe, as well as Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul, Bangkok, Delhi, Dubai, etc.: www.pulkovoairport.ru/en/
- St. Petersburg is the home of “Russian airlines”: http://rossiya-airlines.com/en/
- St. Petersburg is just 1.5 hours flight or less than 4 hours by a fast train from Moscow (the capital of Russia), which is connected by flights with all important cities of the world, including North America, Africa, Asia, and Australia.
- St. Petersburg has several railway stations, Moskovsky railway station is the main one that serves Russian Railways: http://eng.rzd.ru/
- St. Petersburg has the convenient and cheap metro with 5 lines: http://www.map-metro.ru/petersburg_metro_map.gif
- St. Petersburg has a lot of various hotels and mini hotels from hostels to 5 stars hotels: http://www.saint-petersburg.com/hotels/index.asp
- May-June is the best season in St. Petersburg area because of the famous white nights and quite warm weather (13-18 Celsius degrees in the middle of May).
- It has a lot of museums (the Hermitage, State Russian museum, Kunstkamera, etc.), theaters (Mariinsky, Alexandrinsky, Mikhailovsky theaters), Christian churches, restaurants, shops, night clubs, park ensembles, fountains, rivers, bridges, etc.
- St. Petersburg is surrounded by several beautiful suburbs: Peterhof, Tsarskoye Selo, Pavlovsk, Strelna, which are easily accessible.